Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Stoney Creek Restoration


Hey folks,
The Stoney Creek Restoration project will be taking place Sept 2-5 up at the Glen Alton Property. It would be great to coordinate who could help and when so I can organize drivers and folks that can meet to help out. Please send me days and time allotments that you have available to work. Basically, it takes 45 minutes one way to get to Big Stoney. So to make your trip worthwhile I would say that you need at least a 4 hour period of time that you can devote to going up there. More time would be great. So please send me the days and time allotments that you have and I can organize who folks can ride with. Also, please tell me if you are able to drive or would be willing to drive. Here's some transportation options for you:
Joe Williams, the local coldwater fisheries biologist for VDGIF, will be leaving from his office on South Main at 7:30 to 8am Teusday to Friday. He will be staying up there until the afternoon (4:30pm), getting back by 5:30 to 6pm.
I will be taking a caravan up to Stony Ck. Wednesday (Sept 3rd) at 2:30 pm and staying until the evening and I will also plan to take a van up there on Thursday (Sept 4) at 9:30 am. Let me know if one of these options work for you.
If not, I will attempt to organize a ride up there.
Once again, here are the directions:
Take 460 West from Blacksburg past Pembroke. Take a right on Big Stoney Creek Rd. (635). If you cross the New River you have gone too far. You will stay on 635 for at least 10-15 minutes. You will pass Cherokee Flats parking lot on your left and you will pass Glen Alton Rd on your left. Not far after you pass Glen Alton Rd., you will see open fields on your left. This is the field section where the work will be conducted. Drive up the road until you can see machinery working on the stream. Park in one of the pulloffs on the road.

No comments: